Skip to main content

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets the second time around


Title/Year originally published: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets/1999

When I originally read it:
1999

What I thought of it then:
Believe it or not, I don't have a clear memory of checking out the second book like I do with the first. I don't know why though, so much stuff happens! I do remember thinking that Gilderoy Lockhart was obnoxious...

When I re-read it:
I may be saying this with every book as I re-read them, but this one might be my favorite! Like I said before, there's so much stuff going on here! Moaning Myrtle! Tom Riddle's diary and learning about Voldemort's past! Seeing Dumbledore's office for the first time! Seeing Ginny's crush on Harry (I only vaguely remember Ginny in the earlier books, and I certainly forgot her song about Harry), Colin Creevy's creepy fanboy obsession, the flying car, whomping willow, Hagrid's friendship with a giant spider, Hagrid going to Azkaban (I COMPLETELY forgot about that happening! Scary!), basilisk, the return of the Sorting Hat, Ron's wonky wand and spitting up slugs after his valiant attempt at cursing Malfoy, new brooms for Slytherin still not being enough for them to win a Quidditch match, Harry overhearing people talk badly about him in the library (that part broke my heart) and so so SO much more. Also, for some reason I remember Dobby having a bigger part...

What my thoughts are now:
It's probably obvious from the above post that I really liked this book.. :) And like my re-reading of Sorcerer's Stone, I was more aware of what/who was going to be important in the books so I could keep a closer eye on what they were doing. The added bonus of having some of the visuals from the movie were also fun, and especially helpful in the case of Lockhart and Moaning Myrtle because I could just imagine Kenneth Branagh and Shirley Henderson, and thus I was not as annoyed with them. And Ron (Rupert Grint's) face as he vomited up slugs was also etched into my mind as I read that part. :)




So, 2 down 5 to go! As soon as the second copy of Prisoner of Azkaban is returned Karen and I will get started. In the meantime, have a Happy New Year!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Calendar

 Join us in Centennial Park as we resume our outdoor storytimes in the (hopefully) cooler weather! We'll be in the amphitheater at 9:30am on Mondays for Rattle & Rhyme (0-18 months), Tuesdays for Toddler Time (0-3 years), and Wednesdays for Preschool Storytime (3-6 years)!

Zaki Con 2019: Cosplay Contest!

The final event  of Zaki Con is our cosplay contest. I assume you're familiar with cosplay if you're reading, but just in case you aren't: cosplay is " the practice of dressing up as a character from a movie, book, or video game, especially one from the Japanese genres of manga and anime." And anyone can do it! Young and old alike are adorable when dressing as their favorite characters from books, movies, and anime! At Zaki Con, we want to see your interpretation of cosplay! You can enter as one person or as a group (though groups will have to share prizes if they win). All you have to do is come dressed as your favorite character. Since Zaki Con is a family event and it is held in the public library, all costumes must be appropriate for our setting and audience! Entries will be judged by a panel of judges from the library and the community. We look forward to seeing your cosplays during the Con and at the contest which will be held at 5:00pm on Saturda

Duct Tape Pencil Bag

 1. Gather supplies.  2. Unwrap one length of duct tape and carefully set plastic bag on top. Go slowly so there are no air bubbles in the duct tape! 3. Unwrap other color of duct tape and tape the opposite side of the bag. 4. Trim extra duct tape off. 5. Continue adding duct tape (You can do all one color on each side or alternate like I did. Trim sides so everything is even.  6. Optional, if you want to store your pencil bag in your binder, mark where the rings are located. 6. Use a hole punch to make holes. 7. Decorate with stickers or permanent markers!