Skip to main content

Do you cook?


(This is one of my favorite dishes to make Curried Black Beans and Chickpeas with cous cous)

When I got to college, I earned a reputation among my roommates as being a good cook. Now, don't be fooled, I am by no means the next Rachel Ray but I did know my way around a kitchen. I could use a garlic press, make scrambled eggs, bake a cake, cook something in the oven besides a frozen pizza and basically follow most recipes. I guess it never occurred to me that not everyone's parents and friends' parents cook a lot. I was used to helping my mom out in the kitchen and watching while my best friend E (who is an amazing and mostly self taught cook) cook with her mom.

It's not the end of the world if you don't know how to cook in high school, college, or even after college. But it can be a lot of fun. Also it ends up being cheaper (And FAR healthier) than buying fast food or already prepared meals. And there's a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment that comes with making a really good dish for your friends and family.

So let me know, do you cook? Do you want to learn?

Whether you do or not, here are a few great resources for learning a bit about the art of cooking that are written for teens (though I've been known to use them myself!).

Young People Cooking: sick of reading cookbooks for young people that included 'Ketchup Spaghetti pie' Toni Von Eeden created Young People Cooking to give teens and young adults an easy guide to cooking. This site is pretty awesome, check out it's Epic Online Guide to Understanding: How to Cook for helpful hints for starting out. You can also join their group on facebook.

and

(Click on each picture for a link to the library's catalog)

Sam Stern's books are really great, lots of beautiful pictures and easy to follow recipes that are a little adventurous for American taste buds (he's British).




Step by step instructions for tons of great recipes for meals, snacks and desserts.

DFTBA,
Sti

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome! I know a little bit about cooking, and I'm starting to make dinners when my Mom gets really busy and needs someone to take over. I think you should put food recipes up also!
Thanks for the info!

Popular posts from this blog

October Calendar

 Join us in Centennial Park as we resume our outdoor storytimes in the (hopefully) cooler weather! We'll be in the amphitheater at 9:30am on Mondays for Rattle & Rhyme (0-18 months), Tuesdays for Toddler Time (0-3 years), and Wednesdays for Preschool Storytime (3-6 years)!

Zaki Con 2019: Cosplay Contest!

The final event  of Zaki Con is our cosplay contest. I assume you're familiar with cosplay if you're reading, but just in case you aren't: cosplay is " the practice of dressing up as a character from a movie, book, or video game, especially one from the Japanese genres of manga and anime." And anyone can do it! Young and old alike are adorable when dressing as their favorite characters from books, movies, and anime! At Zaki Con, we want to see your interpretation of cosplay! You can enter as one person or as a group (though groups will have to share prizes if they win). All you have to do is come dressed as your favorite character. Since Zaki Con is a family event and it is held in the public library, all costumes must be appropriate for our setting and audience! Entries will be judged by a panel of judges from the library and the community. We look forward to seeing your cosplays during the Con and at the contest which will be held at 5:00pm on Saturda

Duct Tape Pencil Bag

 1. Gather supplies.  2. Unwrap one length of duct tape and carefully set plastic bag on top. Go slowly so there are no air bubbles in the duct tape! 3. Unwrap other color of duct tape and tape the opposite side of the bag. 4. Trim extra duct tape off. 5. Continue adding duct tape (You can do all one color on each side or alternate like I did. Trim sides so everything is even.  6. Optional, if you want to store your pencil bag in your binder, mark where the rings are located. 6. Use a hole punch to make holes. 7. Decorate with stickers or permanent markers!