Skip to main content

BEDA and the joys of being an adult.

As much as I hate to admit it, I am an adult. I'm 24, I have a college degree, a full time job. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of perks about being an adult: having your own car, no curfew, being able to vote, etc. But there are some other things that are not so fun. And by this I mean taxes. Many of you took the TAKS test today, well I handled my taxes.

If you've ever asked me for help with a math problem and gotten no help, you may understand that I have little to no math skills. This isn't because I dislike math, on the contrary I like counting things and making little calculations, and because algebra and geometry problems are kind of like puzzles to me, I usually enjoy working them out. The difficulty arises when grading time comes around. Because no matter how well I thought I understood something, I will usually get the wrong answer. Wrong answers lead to frustration lead to me not wanting to mess up other people's homework or do math very often.

Okay, so we've got this aversion to math and we add (har har) this to figuring out how much money you owe the government (or sometimes they owe you, another confusing thing altogether), very confusing lingo about deductions and exemptions etc. on tax form, and the fear of being tracked down by Men in Black if screw it all up, and Sti can get a little anxious during the month of April..

So this morning, though it extremely beautiful outside and I didn't have to be at work till noon, I sat down in front of a computer with several pieces of intimidating papers with names like W-2 and 1098-E and committed to doing my taxes.

Aaaand, it wasn't so bad! I used a free online service that explains everything to you in English without making you feel stupid and I was done in less than an hour!

So the moral of this story is: um, I guess, math is good, make sure you study hard. And filing income taxes isn't all that bad!

P.S. Did I mention one of my BFFs is a tax accountant? How ironic is that? She's very good at math.

Comments

A very confuzzled Julie said…
I love math! I have a 101 in 8th grade math at school, but Um Sti? Did you blog today? By the time you read this it'll already be tomorrow, even though that's not real. Ya know, tomorrow never comes and yesterday never happened. Waaiitt, that means that you... Huh? I'm confuzzled by my own logic. And I can't spell today (just stop thinking about my above logic)I've spelled AT LEAST 10 words wrond AHH there I go again!! AT LEAST 10 words WRONG!!!! Gosh this never ends I just spelled ANOTHER 5 words wrong in the past 2 sentences (including wrong AGAIN)so I'm stopping now... I rock at math but can't spell. Darn it... Bye! and yes, confuzzled is spelled right, according to Juliespeak.
A hopefully less confuzzled Julie said…
Btw, if I hadn't edited the other blogs I did (Including this one) it would be VERY hard to understand. (I think) OK just needed to say that! Bye!

Popular posts from this blog

October Calendar

 Join us in Centennial Park as we resume our outdoor storytimes in the (hopefully) cooler weather! We'll be in the amphitheater at 9:30am on Mondays for Rattle & Rhyme (0-18 months), Tuesdays for Toddler Time (0-3 years), and Wednesdays for Preschool Storytime (3-6 years)!

Zaki Con 2019: Cosplay Contest!

The final event  of Zaki Con is our cosplay contest. I assume you're familiar with cosplay if you're reading, but just in case you aren't: cosplay is " the practice of dressing up as a character from a movie, book, or video game, especially one from the Japanese genres of manga and anime." And anyone can do it! Young and old alike are adorable when dressing as their favorite characters from books, movies, and anime! At Zaki Con, we want to see your interpretation of cosplay! You can enter as one person or as a group (though groups will have to share prizes if they win). All you have to do is come dressed as your favorite character. Since Zaki Con is a family event and it is held in the public library, all costumes must be appropriate for our setting and audience! Entries will be judged by a panel of judges from the library and the community. We look forward to seeing your cosplays during the Con and at the contest which will be held at 5:00pm on Saturda

Duct Tape Pencil Bag

 1. Gather supplies.  2. Unwrap one length of duct tape and carefully set plastic bag on top. Go slowly so there are no air bubbles in the duct tape! 3. Unwrap other color of duct tape and tape the opposite side of the bag. 4. Trim extra duct tape off. 5. Continue adding duct tape (You can do all one color on each side or alternate like I did. Trim sides so everything is even.  6. Optional, if you want to store your pencil bag in your binder, mark where the rings are located. 6. Use a hole punch to make holes. 7. Decorate with stickers or permanent markers!