Skip to main content

Singing the Body Electric Forever

I was going to blog about our Teen Summer Reading Club today, but that will have to wait a few minutes.

I just heard some heartbreaking news. Author Ray Bradbury has passed away. He was born in 1920 and wrote some of the most amazing, fascinating and beautiful books you will ever read. He is a personal idol of mine and I'm absolutely devastated that he is no longer with us. 

His most famous book, Fahrenheit 451 is a powerful dystopian story of a future where books are outlawed. The Martian Chronicles,  a collection of short stories about life of Mars is one the most important science fiction novels ever written, in my opinion.

Many of his books were adapted for film (Fahrenheit 351, The Illustrated Man, Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Wonderful Ice Cream Suite), tv (an episode of The Twilight Zone, his own television show The Ray Bradbury Theater),  plays, radio programs, and graphic novels.

If you're interested in reading some of his work for yourself, I suggest:
Fahrenheit 451
The Martian Chronicles
Something Wicked This Way Comes
The Halloween Tree
Zen and the Art of Writing: Essays on Writing and Creativity
Dandelion Wine

He was a brilliant writer and a passionate supporter of writers and libraries. And he is probably one of the most quotable writers ever. Here are a few of my favorites.

“A good night sleep, or a ten minute bawl, or a pint of chocolate ice cream, or all three together, is good medicine.”
Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine

“The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us.”
Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451 

“Do you know that books smell like nutmeg or some spice from a foreign land? I loved to smell them when I was a boy. Lord, there were a lot of lovely books once, before we let them go.”
Ray Bradbury 

   “Anything you dream is fiction, and anything you accomplish is science, the whole history of mankind is nothing but science fiction. ”
Ray Bradbury

 “We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over; so in a series of kindnesses there is at last one which makes the heart run over.”
Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451 

 “Without libraries what have we? We have no past and no future.”
Ray Bradbury

“Too late, I found you can't wait to become perfect, you got to go out and fall down and get up with everybody else.”
Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes  

“I am a librarian. I discovered me in the library. I went to find me in the library. Before I fell in love with libraries, I was just a six-year-old boy. The library fueled all of my curiosities, from dinosaurs to ancient Egypt. When I graduated from high school in 1938, I began going to the library three nights a week. I did this every week for almost ten years and finally, in 1947, around the time I got married, I figured I was done. So I graduated from the library when I was twenty-seven. I discovered that the library is the real school.”
Ray Bradbury

And my all time favorite

“I am madness maddened when it comes to books, writers, and the great granary silos where their wits are stored.”
Ray Bradbury

He had a long, productive and I believe happy life but I am still sad that I never got the chance to meet him and tell him how much he means to me.

DFTBA,
Sti

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Calendar

 Join us in Centennial Park as we resume our outdoor storytimes in the (hopefully) cooler weather! We'll be in the amphitheater at 9:30am on Mondays for Rattle & Rhyme (0-18 months), Tuesdays for Toddler Time (0-3 years), and Wednesdays for Preschool Storytime (3-6 years)!

Zaki Con 2019: Cosplay Contest!

The final event  of Zaki Con is our cosplay contest. I assume you're familiar with cosplay if you're reading, but just in case you aren't: cosplay is " the practice of dressing up as a character from a movie, book, or video game, especially one from the Japanese genres of manga and anime." And anyone can do it! Young and old alike are adorable when dressing as their favorite characters from books, movies, and anime! At Zaki Con, we want to see your interpretation of cosplay! You can enter as one person or as a group (though groups will have to share prizes if they win). All you have to do is come dressed as your favorite character. Since Zaki Con is a family event and it is held in the public library, all costumes must be appropriate for our setting and audience! Entries will be judged by a panel of judges from the library and the community. We look forward to seeing your cosplays during the Con and at the contest which will be held at 5:00pm on Saturda

Duct Tape Pencil Bag

 1. Gather supplies.  2. Unwrap one length of duct tape and carefully set plastic bag on top. Go slowly so there are no air bubbles in the duct tape! 3. Unwrap other color of duct tape and tape the opposite side of the bag. 4. Trim extra duct tape off. 5. Continue adding duct tape (You can do all one color on each side or alternate like I did. Trim sides so everything is even.  6. Optional, if you want to store your pencil bag in your binder, mark where the rings are located. 6. Use a hole punch to make holes. 7. Decorate with stickers or permanent markers!