Skip to main content

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban the second time around


Sirius Black's Wanted Poster

Title/Year originally published: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban/1999

When I originally read it:
1999, I believe I got it for Christmas…

What I thought of it then:
When I first read this book I thought parts of it were the saddest things I’d ever read. When Harry overhears that his parents’ best friend betrayed them to Voldemort and was so angry he wanted to kill Sirius Black I cried, a lot. Besides that I thought the whole Time Turner device was really nifty on J.K.'s part (yeah, we're close, I can call her that*). I loved Lupin and the fact that chocolate is the remedy for when you've had all your worst memories brought to mind by Dementors.I also always love Scabbers so I was really sad when he turned out to be the betrayer of Lily and James Potter. Sigh.

When I re-read it: January 2011

What my thoughts are now: This book is so great, I can see why it's a lot of people's favorite of the series. I mean, c'mon time travel! Werewolves! Knight Buses! Lots of time spent in Diagon Alley! Escaped convicts! Creepy creepy Dementors! Our first glimpse of Hogsmeade and Honeydukes! I wasn't as sad this time around-- it seemed like Harry didn't spend as much time being upset about Sirius and plotting to kill him, so that was good. When I first watched the movie I didn't really like it since so much is left out (though I loved the whole look of the movie), but on rewatching I can see that the director was trying to be true to the book while saving time...but I did miss that the movie audience doesn't get to learn about Messr. Moony, Padfoot, Prongs, and Wormtail...

Anywho great book, next we start my favorite (I hope it stays my favorite), Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!

Usually I post some photos from the movie, instead I'm going to post some from my recent trip to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter that have to do with the 3rd book!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Calendar

 Join us in Centennial Park as we resume our outdoor storytimes in the (hopefully) cooler weather! We'll be in the amphitheater at 9:30am on Mondays for Rattle & Rhyme (0-18 months), Tuesdays for Toddler Time (0-3 years), and Wednesdays for Preschool Storytime (3-6 years)!

Zaki Con 2019: Cosplay Contest!

The final event  of Zaki Con is our cosplay contest. I assume you're familiar with cosplay if you're reading, but just in case you aren't: cosplay is " the practice of dressing up as a character from a movie, book, or video game, especially one from the Japanese genres of manga and anime." And anyone can do it! Young and old alike are adorable when dressing as their favorite characters from books, movies, and anime! At Zaki Con, we want to see your interpretation of cosplay! You can enter as one person or as a group (though groups will have to share prizes if they win). All you have to do is come dressed as your favorite character. Since Zaki Con is a family event and it is held in the public library, all costumes must be appropriate for our setting and audience! Entries will be judged by a panel of judges from the library and the community. We look forward to seeing your cosplays during the Con and at the contest which will be held at 5:00pm on Saturda

Duct Tape Pencil Bag

 1. Gather supplies.  2. Unwrap one length of duct tape and carefully set plastic bag on top. Go slowly so there are no air bubbles in the duct tape! 3. Unwrap other color of duct tape and tape the opposite side of the bag. 4. Trim extra duct tape off. 5. Continue adding duct tape (You can do all one color on each side or alternate like I did. Trim sides so everything is even.  6. Optional, if you want to store your pencil bag in your binder, mark where the rings are located. 6. Use a hole punch to make holes. 7. Decorate with stickers or permanent markers!