Skip to main content

Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone the second time around


Okay, so I know I just blogged about rereading the Harry Potter series yesterday...but I'm already finished with the first book (I've been listening to it for a while).

So here's the format I think I'll try to follow for each book.

Title/Year originally published:

When I originally read it:

What I thought of it then:

When I re-read it:

What my thoughts are now:

Maybe I'll do a separate blog for when I rewatch the movie for each book? I'll take your thoughts on that as well..

So here we go!

Title/Year originally published: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone/1997 (sorry the info in the last blog entry was wrong, so most of you were about 2 or 3...and I was 12)

When I originally read it:
I don't recall exactly, but it must have been it first came out because I hadn't heard any of the hype*, so I'll say 1997.

What I thought of it then:
Let me paint a picture for you, this was probably the summer while I was in jr. high and I was browsing through the juvenile fiction stacks* and I came across this kinda interesting looking book*. I checked it out and read it, and I thought it was pretty good. I pronounced Hermione as 'Hermoine' in my head, something that didn't get fixed until the movies came out...I loved how pathetic Scabbers was. Peeves annoyed me. For some reason, even though he comments on how pretty Angelina is during the Quidditch game was, I was convinced Lee Jordan was a girl (I still think it'd be awesome if he was, a girl prankster friend of the Weasley twins? Awesome). But I think I probably forgot about it until I heard the 2nd one was coming out.

When I re-read it:
I started last week (November 23) and finished today (November 30)

What my thoughts are now:
It's really interesting and frankly really awesome to reread the first one after having read the entire series. I don't often re-read a series so this is a new sensation. I like re-meeting characters I've known for so long, and knowing in advance what and who is going to be important to the stories. For instance I dislike any mention of Scabbers when I initially loved him. Fred and George are just as funny though. And Ginny's minor appearance made me giggle. I did wonder why we don't see Ron play any more chess as the series goes on (or do we and I just don't remember?) or if that epic chess game got it all out of his system. Also, having the movie characters in my head actually made some scenes scarier/funnier/sadder, even when I didn't imagine them in the way they happened in the movie. If that makes any sense.

Little things that bothered me. The reader of the audiobooks in America is Jim Dale and he is great. But he pronounces some of the words a little differently than we're used to. For instance, Hermione is more like Herminy, the 'T' in Voldemort is silent, and the way he says the spells is different. Another thing is that when I read these books I didn't know a fraction of the stuff I now know about British customs/words/culture etc. So this time I really noticed all the ways they change words for the American version of the books. Crisps become chips and other really tiny things that shouldn't bother anyone, but irritated me.

Overall, I stand by my opinion of really liking this book!

Okay, I'll be waiting for Karen to catch up before starting Chamber of Secrets. Should I make her blog about her thoughts?

DFTBA,
Sti


*that makes me sound like I'm trying to be cool 'I was into before it was popular' but I'm not!

*my library didn't have a separate YA section

*It was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Calendar

 Join us in Centennial Park as we resume our outdoor storytimes in the (hopefully) cooler weather! We'll be in the amphitheater at 9:30am on Mondays for Rattle & Rhyme (0-18 months), Tuesdays for Toddler Time (0-3 years), and Wednesdays for Preschool Storytime (3-6 years)!

Zaki Con 2019: Cosplay Contest!

The final event  of Zaki Con is our cosplay contest. I assume you're familiar with cosplay if you're reading, but just in case you aren't: cosplay is " the practice of dressing up as a character from a movie, book, or video game, especially one from the Japanese genres of manga and anime." And anyone can do it! Young and old alike are adorable when dressing as their favorite characters from books, movies, and anime! At Zaki Con, we want to see your interpretation of cosplay! You can enter as one person or as a group (though groups will have to share prizes if they win). All you have to do is come dressed as your favorite character. Since Zaki Con is a family event and it is held in the public library, all costumes must be appropriate for our setting and audience! Entries will be judged by a panel of judges from the library and the community. We look forward to seeing your cosplays during the Con and at the contest which will be held at 5:00pm on Saturda

Duct Tape Pencil Bag

 1. Gather supplies.  2. Unwrap one length of duct tape and carefully set plastic bag on top. Go slowly so there are no air bubbles in the duct tape! 3. Unwrap other color of duct tape and tape the opposite side of the bag. 4. Trim extra duct tape off. 5. Continue adding duct tape (You can do all one color on each side or alternate like I did. Trim sides so everything is even.  6. Optional, if you want to store your pencil bag in your binder, mark where the rings are located. 6. Use a hole punch to make holes. 7. Decorate with stickers or permanent markers!