Skip to main content

Twilight Ball!

Thanks to everyone who came out to celebrate the premiere of Twilight at the Twilight Ball! I think it was a great success! We ate food inspired by the movie, listened to Stephenie Meyer's playlist, judged a costume contest, tested our Twilight trivia knowledge, and discussed whether we liked or disliked the movie.

I went and watched the movie Saturday evening, and my verdict is: I liked it!

I was very skeptical, especially after watching the previews. I didn't think Robert Pattinson was a good choice for Edward from the start, and he just looked...weird in the previews. But watching the film as a whole I think he did a remarkable good job. There were some awkward moments, and his accent was a little strange sometimes (but come on, he's British and he was supposed to talk like a Chicagoan from the early 1900s!), and his initial reaction to Bella was a little over the top.. But he was very good at showing how much he thinks of himself as a monster, something that never really struck me fully in the book.

For those of you who disliked the movie, I can only offer this advice. This is from someone who has been disappointed by film adaptations quite a bit, so I like to think I'm wise. :P Watch movies like this with a grain of salt, the creator's may not be going for complete 100% accuracy with every scene, but they are trying to portray the..how do you say..essence of the book. Don't get me wrong, there are some movies where the moviemakers seem to have taken the basic premise of the book and run in a completely different direction, but I don't think that's the case with Twilight.

I'll get off my soap box now, sorry! As you may know by now, I think about books and movies a lot! :)

Now, as a prize to those of you who have read this entire entry, if you came on Saturday you know that there were quotes from Twilight posted all over the walls and some people got to take one home for themselves. Well, I happen to have an extra quote that was too long to put on the wall. So the first person to post a comment on this entry gets to have it! The quote is: "His fingers were ice-cold, like he’d been holding them in a snowdrift before class. But that wasn’t why I jerked my hand away so quickly. When he touched me, it stung my hand as if an electric current had passed through us."
Bella Swan, Twilight, Chapter 2, p.45

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tee hee! Sti, am I the only one reading this stuff??!! Isn't the guy who played Edward the guy who played Cedric in Harry Potter 4? I dunno, but if that's true, THAT is sooo weird.
-Julie R
Christina Hicks said…
You're right Julie, it is! People have been saying that you don't really die when someone say avada kedavra, you actually turn into a vampire! :) I hope you're not the only who reads this, but thanks for commenting. You win the quote!

Popular posts from this blog

October Calendar

 Join us in Centennial Park as we resume our outdoor storytimes in the (hopefully) cooler weather! We'll be in the amphitheater at 9:30am on Mondays for Rattle & Rhyme (0-18 months), Tuesdays for Toddler Time (0-3 years), and Wednesdays for Preschool Storytime (3-6 years)!

Zaki Con 2019: Cosplay Contest!

The final event  of Zaki Con is our cosplay contest. I assume you're familiar with cosplay if you're reading, but just in case you aren't: cosplay is " the practice of dressing up as a character from a movie, book, or video game, especially one from the Japanese genres of manga and anime." And anyone can do it! Young and old alike are adorable when dressing as their favorite characters from books, movies, and anime! At Zaki Con, we want to see your interpretation of cosplay! You can enter as one person or as a group (though groups will have to share prizes if they win). All you have to do is come dressed as your favorite character. Since Zaki Con is a family event and it is held in the public library, all costumes must be appropriate for our setting and audience! Entries will be judged by a panel of judges from the library and the community. We look forward to seeing your cosplays during the Con and at the contest which will be held at 5:00pm on Saturda

Duct Tape Pencil Bag

 1. Gather supplies.  2. Unwrap one length of duct tape and carefully set plastic bag on top. Go slowly so there are no air bubbles in the duct tape! 3. Unwrap other color of duct tape and tape the opposite side of the bag. 4. Trim extra duct tape off. 5. Continue adding duct tape (You can do all one color on each side or alternate like I did. Trim sides so everything is even.  6. Optional, if you want to store your pencil bag in your binder, mark where the rings are located. 6. Use a hole punch to make holes. 7. Decorate with stickers or permanent markers!